A Mother's Death, A Daughter's Tears

My mother died on 5/11/05 after fighting lung cancer for over 14 months. This blog will document my journey of coming to grips with the loss of the most important woman in my life.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

My real name is Kim and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA. I am 44 years old, married, and have two step-daughters. I own five parrots & one dog, a Miniature Schnauzer. I have a pet sitting business http://parrotnanniesmn.com/.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Time Goes By

Lots of time has gone by since my last post. Lots of things have happened in my life since then as well as in the lives of my siblings that make us really wish that Mom was still alive.

My oldest step-daughter is going off to college next week. This is something I never thought I'd experience, having a child that I've come to love go off to college! Gwen, my eldest step-daughter, has really grown a lot since I met her over three years ago & I am so proud of the young woman that she's grown into. I will miss her. My Mom would be amazed that I am even saying this since I swore to her while I was alive that I'd never get involved with a man who had kids--yet I did!

I'm not at liberty to post what is happening in the lives of my siblings but I know that they both miss Mom very much. Right now, my sister is having issues that I know she wishes Mom was here to support her with & I pray that Mom is watching down from Heaven & is sending loving vibes to my sister. I know I am.

The grief still hasn't gone away & I don't think it ever will. I think about my Mom everyday--until I stop doing that, the grief will probably continue to throb in my heart. It is not nearly as sharp as it used to be, though. That is a blessing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow your story has touched me so much.. I lost my mother suddenly on Nov. 8 2010. I had just turned 38 that Halloween.. and that was the last day I saw her. We talked on the phone almost everyday.. but for some reason "busy lives" we did not talk the night of the 7th.. and sadly my mom was gone on the afternoon of the 8th. I feel like I am still trying to deal with that guilt of not talking to her the night before. And getting thru my birthday this year was a hard one.. and now... the 8th is right around the corner.. It's a weird feeling.. of feeling alone,, even tho I have a great husband and two wonderful kids. Sometimes it is just nice to see someone that has the same thing going on in their life and can understand the pain of losing someone like a mother.. my security blanket. Not that I would wish this kinda pain on anyone.. but to just know that I am not a crybaby. That even tho it has been almost a whole year, I still have a reason to be sad and miss her horribly. Glad to hear your story and think,, alright it is ok to still be missing her...her touch... her laughter... her voice.. and just her steady constant of being there for me.. thank you for sharing your story..

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I'm 23 years old.

I just lost my mom to cancer about a month ago. I was with her when she died in the ICU. It was especially painful since I also lost my dad when I was 12. It never occurred to me that I would lose my mom as well.
my mom was amazing, she was also my closest friend. It saddens me that I won't have that with anyone ever again.
I tend to keep things to myself now I doubt I could really talk to anyone anymore and it's difficult.
the best thing I could do is take care of my younger brother focus on my work and do my best to go to graduate school. Just to keep myself occupied.

reading your blog gave me hope, thank you for sharing your story.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home