A Mother's Death, A Daughter's Tears

My mother died on 5/11/05 after fighting lung cancer for over 14 months. This blog will document my journey of coming to grips with the loss of the most important woman in my life.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

My real name is Kim and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA. I am 44 years old, married, and have two step-daughters. I own five parrots & one dog, a Miniature Schnauzer. I have a pet sitting business http://parrotnanniesmn.com/.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Summertime

Summertime, hot warm evenings on the lake fishing for crappies. My Mom sitting at the back of the boat, her job was to run the motor & mine was to take care of dropping & lifting the anchor at the front of the boat. My little sister sat in the middle seat of the boat, fishing pole in hand. The sun shining above us as we pulled away from the dock for another evening of fishing. Across the lake we puttered in the big green fiberglass boat with the 9 HP motor, which was to small for the boat, but it got us to our fishing spot night after night without fail. Some nights we didn't catch anything, some nights we caught tons of fish, and each night was fun. Sitting in the golden light of the setting sun on Lake Morrison, all those years ago....thinking it would always be that way, always.

That was years ago, when I was a child and when the world was a totally different place. Summers at the family cabin seemed endless, even boring by the time August rolled around. Me, my Mom, and my sister spend every summer up there, next to two cabins that belonged to my Mom's grandmother (later her uncle) and my Mom's only paternal uncle. We spent the summers mixing with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins....it was so much fun.

My Mom loved it at the cabin, it was her favorite place to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home