A Mother's Death, A Daughter's Tears

My mother died on 5/11/05 after fighting lung cancer for over 14 months. This blog will document my journey of coming to grips with the loss of the most important woman in my life.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

My real name is Kim and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA. I am 44 years old, married, and have two step-daughters. I own five parrots & one dog, a Miniature Schnauzer. I have a pet sitting business http://parrotnanniesmn.com/.

Friday, May 11, 2007

2 Years Gone & It Still Hurts

My Mom died two years ago today at a hospital in Crosby, Minnesota from lung cancer. She's been 2 years gone and it still hurts emotionally, sometimes badly. Two years of living life without my Mother, two years without hearing her voice or feeling her touch. Two years....

Random memories flashed through my mind today, all day, about what happened on this day two years ago.

I remember I was the one that shut off the IV unit that was dripping fluids into her arm after she had died.

I was the one who called her only remaining close relatives alive, her aunt and uncle, I remember calling them but I don't remember what we said to one another. I also remember calling my father, her ex-husband, and telling him that she had died; I remember hearing his voice fill with tears and wondering what was going through his mind at that exact moment.

I remember going out to eat at the local cafe that was open for dinner, the waitress asking us how are day had been, and telling her my Mom had died earlier in the day. That caught her by surprise and she didn't know what to say, except that she was sorry. The look in her eyes went from being very friendly to sad.

My husband & I stayed in my Mom's apartment that night, although she hadn't lived there in months because at the end, she was living with my sister. It was so surreal to be in that apartment, finding a grocery list unfinished, Valentine's Day cards that never got mailed because she took a turn for the worst and went to live with my sister right before the holiday, smelling her in the sheets and pillows.

Then, of course, we had to arrange to have her body brought back from Crosby, Minnesota to Minneapolis for the funeral and burial. More random memories...

I remember the casket we liked best was one that looked like knotty pine paneling, which was what lined the walls of the family cabin and that was Mom's most favorite place to be. Then we found out it was the cremation casket and couldn't be used for a regular burial. What a weird thing to remember.

Lilacs were my Mom's favorite flower and they had bloomed early that year. Many bushes had few flowers on them, but mine the backyard had some. The funeral director did a wonderful thing; he brought in lilac blooms from the bushes in his own backyard because he knew they were important to us. He did not charge us extra for that.

I remember seeing my father crying at the graveside ceremony and I asked him why he was crying. Why did I ask him that? He had spent over 20 years of life with my Mom and fathered three children with her; was he crying because he still loved her in a way? He told me it was because he hated seeing "his girls", meaning my sister and I, hurting. Even then, beside the grave of the woman he'd been legally married to for 24 years, he couldn't admit that he might be crying because maybe he still loved her, maybe he regretted leaving her, or maybe he was telling the truth.

His wife, the woman he left my Mom for, was beside him and she was crying too. I felt little emotion about it at that time, but now I wonder what her tears were for. I never asked her why she was crying and I never will. But I did see her in a new light that day; she cared for my Mom, someway, somehow. By that point in time, I no longer felt any anger toward her for role in the break-up of my parent's marriage. The part of me that blamed her, the part of me that was still a little girl, was almost completely gone by then. Seeing her cry made that part of me go away forever.

I remember being at the cemetery, after the graveside ceremony was over, listening to my sister wailing that she didn't want to leave Mom alone to be put into the cold, hard ground. I didn't either, but I kept silent because I knew it had to happen. I tried to comfort her. It did no good. Her husband had to pull her away from the casket.

Random memories. Why did I remember these things today? What meaning can be found in these memories of the day of my Mother's death and the days immediately afterward? I look that them now, in writing, and see no pattern really, no reason why these are the memories that jumped out at me today. Sometimes, memories are like that, random and without reason.

I did not go to her grave today. I will go tomorrow, the day after her death anniversary and the day before Mother's Day this year. I will take her the lilac blooms off of the small bush in my backyard and maybe a few from the neighbor's bush, I will put them on her grave, and I will share my memories with her. And I will cry, and at least I will know and understand why I'm crying.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I found this while doing a google search. Why? My mother passed away a year ago on friday (7-24-08) and today was her "Service" a year ago. At the time, I was 20 yrs old and my sister only 18. My mother passed, without any warning, in my father's arms of a sudden heart attack. Reading your thoughts helps me with mine. Helps me know my feelings are normal. A year later, it is not any easier and I might even say it is harder. I also have to be the strong one for my sister as it seems you are to yours. I just want to thank you for writing this. As I am sure it helped you, it also has helped me on a very hard day.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

I agree with the first comment...you may not know why you had those specific memories...but they are helping others...I will celebrate the first anniversary of my mom's death in October. She too died from a long battle with non smoker lung cancer...and though I know it was time for her to rest because she was tired...it still hurts to know that I am going to spend so long without her. I am 23 and have my entire life ahead of me without a mom. However she gave me the greatest gift possible in leaving me the care of my little brother. She knew he was my world...and decided I was strong enough to raise him. She chose me over my older brothers and dad...and knowing that she had so much faith in me comforts me when the whole in my heart is unbearable.
My mom also died close to her birthday...almost 1 week before actually...
I hope I have the strength to go through this first anniversary(my little brother and I are going to the zoo because it is the last outing we had with her)...and to reach a second as you have...thank you for your words

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Erin D. said...

Thank you for updating your blog. I just found it today, while searching for others who have been through some of the same experiences in losing their mother. My mom passed away after a very short battle with an extremely aggressive form of small-cell cancer. She died on Dec. 1st, 2010... the day before you posted this entry. It makes me feel a bit better to know that you are still dealing with grief over your loss. People say that "time heals all wounds", but I tend to disagree -- it just gives us time to deal with our sorrow and helps us to remember the good times.

I am 35 years old, and just had my 2nd baby 4 months after my mom's passing. She wanted to meet him so badly, since my daughter (who is nine) was her only grandchild. She'd been praying this little guy in for a few years. It's crazy to think she never met him, though I am sure he is here because of his grammie's love and prayers. I think he is helping my whole family to deal a bit better with our grief.

My mom's birthday is May 4th, so you can know I'll be thinking about you during that difficult week as well, when it rolls around again.

Blessings to you. May you continue your journey of healing in all areas of your life.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home